When director Ken Rodgers decided to do a documentary looking back on the battles between late Raiders owner Al Davis and late NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle, he decided he wanted to tell the stories from their perspectives. With both men having died years ago, Rodgers used deepfake technology to make modern science fiction versions of the two main characters and used them to narrate the documentary that is rich in historical footage of both Davis and Rozelle from their battles over the AFL-NFL merger and the Raiders move to Los Angeles.
By Lorena Baires/Diálogo January 02, 2019 The Northern Triangle countries deployed Operation Regional Shield III (Operación Escudo Regional) to further weaken the complex networks of Mara Salvatrucha (also known as MS-13) and Barrio 18, devoted to contract killing, extortion, and narcotrafficking. The Salvadoran, Guatemalan, and Honduran state prosecutors and police led the raids, seizures, and captures of both gangs’ leaders on November 6, 2018. “We achieved a high level of coordination among the three countries to operate against gangs and provide solutions to the people who expect justice,” said Álvaro Rodríguez, national anti-extortion coordinator for the Salvadoran Office of the Attorney General. “We know that the decisions spokespeople of transnational gangs send come from gang leaders who operate from prisons and from the streets.” The operation was carried out in seven of El Salvador’s 14 departments: San Salvador, La Libertad, and Santa Ana in the west, and Usulután, San Miguel, La Unión, and Morazán in the east. The operation affected 18 structures of both gangs, and authorities arrested 501 leaders who ordered murder and extortion and facilitated narcotrafficking. “With this operation, the authorities were able to solve 62 homicides, 25 kidnappings in which victims haven’t been found, and 62 cases of extortion, among other crimes,” Rodríguez told Diálogo. “We disrupted several terrorist structures in seven out of 14 departments in the country, after arrest warrants were issued.” In San Salvador, the Salvadoran capital, the efforts focused on dismantling a structure of Barrio 18 devoted to extorting shopkeepers of a well-known fruit and vegetable wholesale market. The group was made up of 50 people who collected more than $50,000 monthly. Group leader Marlon Salvador, alias el Saico, was the owner of several stores in the market, which were used as fronts to launder extortion earnings. It’s estimated that his personal income was about $16,000 per month. Guatemalan authorities conducted 88 raids in 11 departments of the country to strike several structures of Barrio 18 and Los Imitadores, another criminal gang. Criminals pretended to be gang members to extort businesspeople operating city buses, taxis, and motorcycle taxis. “Both groups are responsible for collecting money illegally since last year . They operated through phone calls or messages where they threatened their victims,” Emma Flores, extortion prosecutor at the Guatemalan Office of the Attorney General, told Diálogo. “The victims paid with bank deposits or cash payments to avoid being killed.” According to investigations, the two groups obtained at least $48,000 from hundreds of victims in the Guatemalan departments of Quetzaltenango, Retalhuleu, Jalapa, Jutiapa, Escuintla, Huehuetenango, San Marcos, Suchitepéquez, Izabal, and Sacatepéquez. In Honduras, the Special Prosecutor for Offences Against Life struck several rings of Barrio 18, which were involved in 14 violent murders against minors and women in the capital. Subgroups are also connected to aggravated theft, vehicle theft, purchase of stolen vehicles, illegal use and trade of weapons, and criminal association. “We realized that by just capturing and sending them to prison, the problem is not solved. We need to deprive them of all illicit resources, so they don’t have any operational or financial capability to operate outside the law from correctional centers,” José María Salgado, head of prosecutors in Honduras, told Diálogo. Regional instrument The same morning the operations took place, Salvadoran, Guatemalan, and Honduran prosecutors signed a memorandum of understanding to promote strategic criminal pursuit in the region and the coordination of combined operations to counter transnational organized crime. They agreed to create a transnational task force to strengthen combined work and the timely exchange of information to pursue criminals in the Northern Triangle of Central America. “Unifying our efforts will allow for a direct and efficient fight against transnational crime structures, so as to dismantle them and bring their members to justice,” María Consuelo Porras, Guatemalan Attorney General, told the press. “Sharing information and good practices will be crucial, since our geographical position is strategic to stop these criminal gangs.” With the agreement signed, attorney generals must define the mechanisms to exchange information in a prompt, safe way, according to the laws of every state. The main crimes to be pursued are drug activity, human trafficking, corruption, vehicle theft, money laundering, and gangs and maras, among others. “We experience complicated situations with regard to the facets of crime. This agreement will allow us to unify our efforts to counter transnational structures,” Douglas Meléndez, Salvadoran Attorney General, told the press. “We understand that we cannot fight them on our own, because they are borderless. That’s why we must work together. We will shut off all their advantages, so they cannot turn our territories into their safe havens,” Salgado said.
Most of the new cases, he says, are contained to nursing homes. Coronavirus numbers Broome County Executive Jason Garnar says there is no reason to panic over the “slight” increase. He says it’s expected that there will sometimes be increases in reported cases as the region reopens. June 25 Broome County coronavirus update (WBNG) — The county announced there are 50 active cases of the coronavirus in Broome County. This is an increase from 37 reported on Wednesday. Coronavirus advice from Garnar He says he encourages people to continue wearing masks, remain social-distant and wash their hands as cases throughout the country climb. 51 people died from the virus and 550 recovered. For a map detailing where cases are located in the county, click here. Garnar is warning county residents that the coronavirus “is not going away anytime soon.” Garnar says the region is still on track to move onto phase four Friday. Which is the last day he will hold a daily update.
CARDIFF, Wales (Reuters) – New Zealand crushed Sri Lanka without losing a single wicket in Cardiff yesterday to begin their World Cup campaign in style after seamers Matt Henry and Lockie Ferguson had skittled their opponents out for 136.Kiwi opener Martin Guptill then smashed an unbeaten 51-ball 73, while Colin Munro made 58 not out to help the New Zealanders reach their target in less than 17 overs.Earlier, Kiwis skipper Kane Williamson won the toss and chose to bowl on a pitch so green it was indistinguishable from the outfield, and he was rewarded when Henry trapped Lankan opener Lahiru Thirimanne leg-before in the first over.Canterbury seamer Henry, who conceded 107 runs in a warm-up match against West Indies earlier this week, continued his resurgence to remove Kusal Perera and Kusal Mendis in the ninth over to leave the Sri Lankan middle order exposed at 46-3. “Good to go out there on a green surface,” Henry, who credited his stint with English county Kent last season for his man-of-the-match performance, said after the match.“You don’t get too many one-day wickets like that. On a surface like that we were trying the full length and get them forward, with them trying to hit us off our length.”Henry took 3-29 off seven overs, while Ferguson bagged three middle-order wickets as Sri Lanka finished with the lowest ODI total at Sophia Gardens – below their own record there of 138, also set against the Kiwis, in the 2013 Champions Trophy.Sri Lankan captain Dimuth Karunaratne led a mini-recovery for his side, carrying his bat with an unbeaten 52 to take the total past 100. All-rounder Thisara Perera (27) received no support from the lower order, as they were skittled out with 20.4 overs to spare.Karunaratne has urged his team to reassess their approach for the rest of their campaign after the majority of the batsmen perished in search of early boundaries.“136 is never going to be enough in these conditions,” the Sri Lankan captain said.“It was a good toss to win … it was seaming and swinging in the morning, so they had the advantage.“We need to think about our game and approach. We’re trying to play our shots early. We need to give ourselves a chance to get set and then score runs.” The result cemented 2015 runners-up New Zealand’s status as the dark horses in the tournament and also highlighted why Sri Lanka, who have recorded just one ODI win in 2019, may struggle to qualify for the semi-finals.New Zealand’s next game is against Bangladesh at The Oval on Wednesday, while Sri Lanka stay in Cardiff to play Afghanistan on Tuesday. SRI LANKA innings H. Thirimanne lbw b Henry 4F. Karunaratne (c) not out 52M. Perera c de Grandhomme b Henry 29B. Mendis c Guptill b Henry 0D. de Silva lbw b Ferguson 4A. Mathews c Latham b de Grandhomme 0B. Mendis c Neesham b Ferguson 1N. Perera c Boult b SantnerI. Udana c Henry b Neesham 0R. Lakmal c Santner b Boult 7S. Malinga b FergusonExtras: (b-1, nb-2, w-8) 11Total: (all ou,; 29.2 overs) 136Fall of wickets: 1-4, 2-46, 3-46, 4-53, 5-59, 6-60, 7-112, 8-114, 9-130.Bowling: M. Henry 7-0-29-3, T. Boult 9-0-44-1, L. Ferguson 6.2-0-22-3, C. de Grandhomme 2-0-14-1, J. Neesham 3-0-21-1, M. Santner 2-0-5-1.NEW ZEALAND innings (target: 137 runs from 50 overs)M. Guptill not out 73C. Munro not out 58Extras: (lb-3, nb-1, w-2) 6Total: (16.1 overs) 137-0Bowling: S. Malinga 5-0-46-0, R. Lakmal 4-0-28-0, I. Udana 3-0-24-0, N. Perera 3-0-25-0, B. Mendis 1.1-0-11-0