On Thursday, February 1st, the music world lost another world-class talent as Dennis Edwards, longtime lead singer of Motown legends the Temptations, passed away in a Chicago hospital just two days before his 75th birthday. His death was confirmed by Rosiland Triche Roberts, one of his booking agents. She did not specify the cause. Before joining The Temptations, Edwards put his gospel singing background to work with another Motown group, the Contours, best known for their 1962 hit “Do You Love Me”, which they recorded before he joined them. The Contours opened for the Temptations in the late 1960s, and when the Temptations lead singer David Ruffin left the group in 1968, Edwards was asked to take his place. As groups like Sly and the Family Stone surged in popularity, Edwards’ voice was one of the main ingredients in The Temptations’ left turn into psychedelic soul and funk territory.Shortly after Dennis Edwards joined the group, the Temptations won their first GRAMMY Award for the upbeat “Cloud Nine” (1968). They won another GRAMMY for the funk anthem “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” in 1971. That song, as well as the other two big Temptations hits from that era—“I Can’t Get Next to You” and “Just My Imagination” (on which Kendricks sang lead)—both reached No. 1 on the Billboard pop singles chart. The Temptations received a GRAMMY Lifetime Achievement award in 2013. In 1989, Edwards became the only group member outside the “Classic 5” lineup (Ruffin, Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams, Otis Williams, and Eddie Kendricks) to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with The Temptations.You can watch Edwards and The Temptations perform “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” below via YouTube user MOMOFUNKONE:Rest in peace, Dennis. Your memory lives on through your music…[h/t – Billboard][Cover photo: Jason Miller/Getty Images for Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, via Fox5]
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York An elder law attorney from Great Neck has been indicted on charges of stealing about $700,000 from her clients—more than quadruple the $150,000 she was originally accused of stealing, authorities said.Martha Brosius, 50, tearfully pleaded not guilty Friday at Nassau County court to charges of grand larceny, scheme to defraud and offering a false instrument for filing. Queens prosecutors are handling the case because Brosius’ husband works for the Nassau County District Attorney’s office, which requested a special prosecutor to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest.“She’s retired from law and is returning files from clients,” her Garden City-based attorney, Marc Gann, told Judge Helene Gugerty when his client was arraigned on the new charges.In the 18 months since Brosius’ arrest in September 2013, investigators discovered additional instances of alleged theft, which increased the original three charges to 12, said James Liander, bureau chief of the Queens District Attorney’s Integrity Bureau. The case was sent to the grand jury twice last year, the Press has learned.The victims included an incapacitated 77-year-old man and a disabled woman who was the sole inheritor of her father’s estate. Some of that money has since been repaid, authorities said.Liander requested that Brosius’ bail be increased from $10,000 to $150,000. The judge declined the request after Gann argued that it was unnecessary because Brosius has attended every court and remains at home, caring for her two elementary-school-aged children.“The defendant is accused of breaching her fiduciary duty and unjustly enriching herself at the expense of her clients,” Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement at the time of her arrest. “Such alleged actions cannot go unpunished.”The case was referred to prosecutors by the Office of Court Administration’s Inspector General. If convicted, Brosius faces up to 15 years in prison. She is due back in court on March 11.—With Timothy Bolger
Paul and Dennis Schroder had 22 points each, but the rest of the Thunder players combined for just 19 points. The three Celtics who missed Friday’s win over Atlanta with various injuries — Jaylen Brown, Gordon Hayward and Daniel Theis — all returned for Sunday’s game.Hayward, Tatum and Theis each had double-doubles. Brown contributed 17 points.Thunder rookie forward Darius Bazley left the game in the first quarter after spraining his knee and did not return. Thunder guard Chris Paul knocked down a jump shot at the other end but Walker answered with another three from the same distance a few seconds later as the Celtics regained control.Paul then made a three-pointer at the buzzer to cap the scoring and make it a one-point game.Jayson Tatum scored 19 of his 26 points in the second half for Boston who have now won 10 of their last 11 contests.Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Danilo Gallinari scored 24 points each to lead the Thunder, who suffered just their second loss in 11 games. Kemba Walker scored 27 points and hit a pair of clutch three pointers late in the game as the Boston Celtics stretched their winning streak to seven games with a 112-111 win over Oklahoma City.Walker hit two threes from almost the exact same spot in the final three minutes to seal the win for Boston in front of a crowd of 18,200 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena.With the Celtics ahead by four and the clock running down he nailed a three pointer to put the gap at seven. Topics :
Want to know why it feels like you have a leaky wallet? A whopping 85 per cent of Aussie homeowners don’t know their interest rate yet 94 per cent know their mobile number.Latest “Know your numbers” research by UBank has found homeowners could save tens of thousands of dollars if they reviewed their interest rates, especially for their mortgage.Ubank chief executive officer Lee Hatton said actively seeking the best rate should be a priority for homeowners.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home3 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor9 hours ago“While 94 per cent of Australians can remember their mobile phone number and 93 per cent can remember their PIN number for their debit/credit card, only 15 per cent can remember their home loan rate,” UBank found.The results were shocking given mortgages were the most expensive purchase of a person’s lifetime generally.“Of those surveyed, 44 per cent could only recall an approximate figure for their home loan rate while the remainder or 41 per cent simply didn’t know their rate at all” Men were twice as likely as women to know their mortgage rate “to two decimal places”, UBank found.Men were twice as likely as women to be accurate about what their rate was “to two decimal places”, and surprisingly Gen X (20 per cent) did better than both Baby Boomers (13 per cent) and Millennials (13 per cent) on that score too.UBank chief executive Lee Hatton said actively monitoring and seeking the best rate should be a priority for homeowners.“Buying a home is one of the biggest investments of your life, so it’s really important that you find the right loan that suits your individual needs. Simply knowing your exact home loan rate and managing it closely could save you thousands of dollars a year.”The research also found that 54 per cent of Aussies were feeling financially strained, while a third constantly worried about their financial future.“Unfortunately, more and more Australians are making significant sacrifices due to being financially overstretched. The better acquainted you are with your numbers, the less stress and more money you’ll have in your back pocket. It’s important Australians borrow less and live more.”
(From left to right) Ariel Sobel, Gloria Allred and Viva Symanski participated in the Justice for Trojans march in June to protest George Tyndall’s alleged misconduct and the University’s lack of transparency. (Daily Trojan file photo)Following the Medical Board of California’s decision to temporarily suspend former USC gynecologist George Tyndall’s medical license, attorneys suing the doctor and the University lauded the Board for its decision to keep him from seeing patients.In May, Tyndall was accused of sexual abusing patients during gynecology appointments at the student health center for several decades. Most recently, he agreed to the interim suspension of his medical license, rather than waiting for a full hearing on Friday. This temporary suspension will last until the Medical Board issues a final decision regarding his license, according to legal documents.Tyndall’s attorney Peter Osinoff did not respond to multiple requests for comment.Lawyers such as John Manly, who defended gymnasts abused by U.S. Olympic doctor Larry Nasser, and Gloria Allred, a prominent lawyer known for defending high-profile women in similar cases, are now representing hundreds of women in suits against the University and Tyndall.Both were supportive of the decision to bar his license. “I’m glad he’s off the street in terms of practicing medicine, but it’s very, very sad that it took over 30 years, and, at this point, over 400 women have come forward to report that they were assaulted or harassed by him,” Manly said.Daniella Mohazab, a graduate student and alleged victim of Tyndall, said at a press conference that she “cried tears of happiness and relief” when she found out about Tyndall’s medical license suspension.“In the past few weeks, I have continued to hurt,” she said. “This has not been an easy process, but our work is paying off.”With the suspension, Tyndall is unable to practice medicine, advertise himself as a physician or supervise physician assistants while the order is in effect. He is also barred from prescribing medication.“The medical board doesn’t suspend your license unless they suspect you did something wrong,” Manly said. “The notion that this is all a big misunderstanding, I think that’s out the window.” Tyndall was also required to turn in his wall and wallet certificates along with prescriptions blanks and Drug Enforcement Agency order forms and permits, according to the documents.A brief from the California Attorney General’s office that argued for the suspension of Tyndall’s medical license included declarations from five students who are clients of Allred. The women shared information about the alleged sexual misconduct they experienced with Tyndall. Mohazab and Anika Narayanan were two of those who spoke out.“I am so encouraged by this recent decision and have nothing but pride and gratitude for every person who has been a participant in this narrative, Narayanan said. “Each and every woman who is linked by this shared experience and each and every person who listened to us and appreciated this experience as serious, wrong and perhaps most critically, valid.”On Wednesday, The New York Times reported that Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos is preparing new policies regarding sexual misconduct on campuses. The new policies aim to narrow the definition of sexual harassment so that schools are only held accountable for formal complaints and instances that occur on campus. There will also be higher legal standards to evaluate whether universities address complaints properly, the Times reported.USC did not respond regarding these new rules by time of publication. However, Board of Trustees Chair Rick Caruso addressed how the University is currently dealing with accusations of misconduct against Tyndall in an interview Tuesday. “The University is responding to the lawsuits that have been filed,” he said. “I feel strongly that these are our students, they are patients. We need to do right by them and treat them fairly and through this process of the lawsuit, this is going to be our goal. Get this chapter of their life and the University’s life closed.”Tomás Mier contributed to this report.